Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Pilots and Debt

As a recruiter for MAF I get the same question over and over and a very important one too! After all the education and flight training to become a Missionary Pilot, how do I pay off all of this debt to be able to go and serve the Lord on the mission field ? I wish MAF had enough money to pay off every one's debt to get you into MAF right away ! But as we all know that Aviation is about the most expensive thing we can do ! I have been a pilot with MAF for over 35 years now and when I came in I was just back from Viet Nam and the military paid for all of my higher education and all my flight training. I left college debt free. Not all of us are in the same place. I have no great words of wisdom to give you but I have seen during the last 35 years the ways the Lord makes it all happen and no story is the same. Each of our MAF pilots could tell you a different story on how the Lord gave them the money to pay off their training debt. I feel the money part is the easy part for the Lord to do and provide - The hard part is to find his children that are willing to give up all and serve Him. Becoming a MAF pilot is a long process. When you get older like me you will look back and see, it was not so much about finding the money to pay off the debt but the process and growing in your relationship with the Lord that He used to build your faith and trust in Him. Our relationship with the Lord is really more important than getting to the field and flying that airplane. But - guess what - when you have that relationship, the money comes in and you are flying everyday in some of the most remote places on earth. I have no idea on how God will provide what you need to get here. But I have seen 35 years of Him making it happen. Capt Hook

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to be a pilot and serve the Lord. Right now I am in highschool. Which is the best direction for me to go? I figured I should get some experience before hand...

Mike said...

I have gone through some very big changes in my life recently. My world was turned upside down. Through this God has brought me closer to him and he has shown me that he will provide and take care of me when everything has been stripped away. Recently, I have felt that tug on my heart to do something more for God and getting my pilots license and being a missionary pilot is something that I see doors opening for. What advice do you have for someone just starting this journey?

John Hook said...

Hello Zax, There are many colleges that train missionary pilots. You can get your Bible, BS Degree, flight training and Mechanic training all at one school.These schools will prepare you for everything to make application . Please check our web site at www.mafrecruiting.org for the link to our college list and other info on becoming a Missionary Pilot. If you have other questions please contact me at jhook@maf.org

JKSB said...

As a military pilot, I would highly recommend ROTC and military service as a way to get training and experience while also serving the Lord and your country. Great opportunitty...

Aaron said...

"...how do I pay off all of this debt?"

In my opinion this is the wrong question, although for some it's too late. In my opinion we should be asking, "God is this what you want me to do?" and if so, trust Him to provide.

Before you go into debt, please take a careful look at what God's Word (not our culture or even your Christian friends) has to say about debt. I am working hard to get out of debt and have become convinced that debt is a symptom of my impatience or lack of trust in God to provide what I need in His timing. I know this is difficult and counter-culture, and not everyone will agree with me. That's why I don't try to argue my point; just look at Scripture with an open heart and see what God says to you.

Unknown said...

Hi, I think I might be stupid but whatever.
I am 12 yrs old going on 13 this year, i believe that the Lord is calling me to become a MAF pilot. I have prayed for it and earlier today i went to the MAF discovery day, my friend lived in PNG. so how can i work to get closer to become or help MAF pilot(s)
Thanks

rhilbrands said...

Hi Tom,
There are a lot of ways to prepare to be a missionary pilot with MAF. Training technically is probably the easiest in that you study hard in school especially in the maths and sciences (look into aerodynamics). Hang out with pilots and mechanics at the airport if possible. Learning mechanics is a big part of being a missionary pilot so help your dad with car maintenance or perhaps a friend of yours who is mechanically inclined.

On the spiritual side, read God's word and be a witness in your school. Go on mission trips with your youth group. Look to find a mentor who will disciple you in walking a Christlike walk.

Learn to be flexible, patient, caring, and reach out to the less fortunate. Model Christ to all those around you. Heart and attitude are huge in being a good missionary. God bless as you seek to be a missionary pilot.